At Dóchas, we mobilise our convening power to influence policy change and public support in Ireland through coordinated action. Communications and Media engagement is critical to achieving this. Being an authoritative voice for the international development and humanitarian sector and facilitating dialogue and debate in the public domain is a central component of our work. In addition to this we aim to inspire, engage and mobilise members to use their voice to spotlight the issues we work to address.
This role is responsible for developing, mobilising and delivering communications and media content, support and engagement.
- Develop and implement an effective communication strategy and implementation plan for stakeholder engagement, in particular media, social media and member communications
- Cultivate strong relationships with media representatives as well as identify opportunities to raise awareness of the sector through such relationships
- Support the CEO as Dóchas' lead spokesperson, arranging media opportunities and coordinating briefing materials for interviews and events
- Manage day-to-day press queries, draft, and issue press releases and comments to the media
- Manage all Dóchas’ social media channels to maintain consistency of messaging and amplification of member activity
- Remain up to date on digital marketing trends and how to optimise these channels for Dóchas’ overall mission and campaigns
- Work with members and the Dóchas team to develop creative campaign content and communications materials for use across Dóchas communications channels, ensuring optimal engagement and impact
- Maintain Dóchas’ brand positioning and ensure consistent use of tone of voice and messaging across all platforms
- Ensure timely and accurate production of information for the Dóchas website and all external materials
- Initiate, develop, and manage a communications schedule of our member and external events, announcements and activities
- Provide strategic support to the Worldview Project – ensuring the research conducted informs Dóchas and its members’ communications and public engagement
- Champion Ethical Communications across the sector, and lead on initiatives to support members’ engagement with ethical communications
As a member of a small team, you will play a full part in the administration, planning and evaluation of Dóchas' work as a whole. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the organisation.
This position requires significant experience in communications, media engagement and digital marketing. You must be a strong communicator with great people skills, an ability to engage, network and influence with stakeholders of all levels and have a passion for international development, humanitarian and climate work.
Relevant Background & Experience
- Third level qualification in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field
- 5+ years' experience in a similar role in the creation and implementation of communications strategy, including audience engagement within online and offline communications channels.
- Good understanding of the political and media landscape in which we operate, with established relationships in Irish media.
Experience and a strong interest in digital media and the potential to engage key audiences.
- Experience in the NGO sector, with a keen interest in foreign affairs and overseas development
Knowledge, skills and qualities
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and influencing skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and perform under tight deadlines
- Excellent writing, editing and copywriting skills and attention to detail
An inquisitive approach, particularly within ongoing learning and keeping aware of constantly evolving international developments relating to humanitarian and development assistance
- The ability to work in a facilitative, participatory and collaborative manner