Development Education is about increasing people's awareness and understanding of global issues and of the interdependence of different countries and parts of the world in relation to those issues. In particular, it is about what sustains under-development and what is needed to reach and sustain more equal development. It is an education based on reflection, analysis and action at local and global level.
Development Education engages people in an important analysis of global issues affecting their lives and the lives of others internationally and domestically. As the world becomes increasingly globalised, and social media changes how citizens the world over gain access to information on social, cultural, political, and economic structures across the globe – development education can act as a central space for further knowledge acquisition on those themes and issues.
Development education applies to all ages, and stages of education. From primary school to adulthood, programmes can be tailored for all developmental stages to gain an understanding of the important issues facing the global community.
Goal 4, target 7 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) seeks that, by 2030, it is ensured that “all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”. The universality of the SDGs helps to show that we all have our part to play in the promotion of sustainable development, and development education has a pivotal role in this.
- Dóchas Development Education Working Group Submission to the Public Consultation on Ireland's New International Development Policy (2018)
- Dóchas Development Education Working Group Submission to the JCFATD Review of Irish Aid 2017
- Dóchas Submission to the Mid-Term Review of Irish Aid's Development Education Strategy (2011-2013)
- Dóchas 'Development Education: From Awareness to Action' (2010)
- Dóchas Submission to Irish Aid on Development Education (2006)
Dóchas Code of Conduct Resources
- Dóchas Code of Conduct on Images and Messages
- ACC 'The Use of Images and Messages - A Human Rights Issue' (2010)
- Further resources on the Dóchas Code of Conduct on Images and Messages
Government and Multilateral Publications
- Irish Aid Development Education Strategy 2017-2023
- Irish Aid Development Education Strategy 2017-2023 Performance Measurement Framework
- Irish Aid Development Education Funding
- GENE Peer Review - National Report on Ireland (2015)
- IDEA 'Stronger Together: A toolkit for partnerships in and beyond Development Education' (2017)
- IDEA 'Good Practice Guidelines for Development Education in Schools' (2013)
- Development Education 'Debating Aid' (2010)
- DE Watch 'European Development Education Monitoring Report' (2010)
- Development Education Association 'Measuring Effectiveness in Development Education' (2001)
- DFAT, Deepening Public Understanding of International Development: development education strategy plan 2003-2005